How to determine which reports you need to stay on top of your business need not be a mystery. Most of the time, answering a few questions is going to help you discover the kinds of reports that are going to give you the most useful information. Once you have a better idea of what you need, a Crystal Report developer from Crystal Report Writers can design and develop the reports.
Do the easiest first
Every business has standard reports that are required for taxes and for basic business operations. These reports include:
- Quarterly and annual tax reports
- Accounts Payable / Accounts Receivable
- Sales reports
- Profit and Loss
- Inventory reports for both products and materials
- Payroll reports
- Employee status reports
Make a list of all of the reports you are currently using for your business and compare this list to the basic, standard reports you need. Add any that are missing to the list.
Ask your accountants, bookkeepers, and managers or employees for lists of reports they are currently using.
To prepare for the next step, which is determining the additional reports you need, ask your staff for a list of reports they would like.
Figuring out what you need
One of the best ways to figure out what kinds of reports you need is to ask questions about your business. Generally, you will find that these questions can be organized into two categories:
- Special reports that are only needed occasionally
- Regular reports that give you important information on a regular schedule
Questions, such as “How can we trim shipping costs?” or “Why are we paying so much overtime?” fall under the category of special reports because once the problems is solved, you may not need them on a regular schedule.
Questions about daily operations indicate reports that you want to see on a regular basis. These reports provide the information that helps you decide how to keep your business on track and profitable. These questions might include:
- “What is our profit margin?”
- “What is the demographic distribution of our sales?”
- “What are our quality assurance statistics?”
- “How effective is our marketing plan?”
- “Can we improve our production timelines?”
Getting the reports to your desk
Determining the kinds of reports you need is on thing. Actually getting them from the wish list and on your desk is more involved.
- Do you have the data needed for these reports and where is it?
- Is the data summarized or detailed?
- How do you get access to data in the most useful form?
- Can one report provide different views of the same data?
- Who is responsible for maintaining what data?
- Can related data from two (or more) different processes be combined?
Answers to questions like these come from an analytical process that determines who is responsible for generating the initial, raw data, where that data is maintained and how it is accessed for daily operations and management decisions.
Crystal Report developers have the expertise to review and analyze business operations, make recommendations for data management and reporting, design and develop the reports, and train key staff on how to use the reports and reporting system.
Crystal Report Writers provides consulting services for every type and size of business, from local businesses to large corporations. Whether the reporting needs are for bottom-line financial numbers, manufacturing and production statistics, fulfillment, or payroll and human resources, our expert Crystal Report developer services can help with all aspects of creating the reports you need to turn raw data into useful management reports.
Contact us today for a no-obligation consultation.